Groß Ullersdorf (Velky Losin) (Bez. Mährisch Schönberg)
(We thank Frank Soural for the photos)
Summer in Ullersdorf
The health resort of Groß Ullersdorf is situated in the charming surroundings of the Teß valley below the Altvater mountain range. Highlights in its history were the rebellion of the peasants against their superiors in the 16th and 17th centuries and the witch trials carried out by judge Boblig from 1678 to 1711.
The sulphur bath in Ullersdorf
Evidence that the medicinal springs have been in use since early times is given in the coat of arms of the village, which shows the staff of Aesculapius (1620). The spa, with its hot sulphur springs (24 - 29 °C) is one of the oldest in the country and is equipped with all the facilities of a modern health resort. The "Queen of Moravian Mineral Waters" (1581 Thomas Jordan von Klausenberg) attracted people suffering from rheumatism, gout and nervous complaints.The parish church "Johannes der Täufer", a renaissance building (1600-1603), holds the tomb of the Zierotin family. The farming academy was the most important in the Sudetenland. The castle of the Zierotin family was built in the 13th century. It's present appearance dates back to the end of the 16th century. With its artistic arcades it is now one of the most beautiful renaissance buildings of the country. The chapel has paintings of Johann Christoph Handke. Grillparzer, who used the large library of the castle for his studies, is said to have been prompted to write "Ahnenfrau" there. Since 1802 castle and park have been the property of the pinces of Liechtenstein. Prince Franz Joseph II. spent his youth there.
Paper mill of the Schmied Family
In our days Groß Ullersdorf has repeatedly been used as a
setting for movies such as "Der Hexenhammer" (the
witch's hammer) (1969). In 1966 a paper museum was opened.
It is part of the paper mill that was founded here in 1516
by a member of the Zierotin family. It is the oldest of the
working paper mills in Europe.
In 1959 the old library of the Zierotins was transfered from Blauda castle to Groß Ullersdorf. In 1980 another hot spring (32.6°C) was discovered.