Portrait: Professor Georg Katzer
*born in 1935 in Habelschwerdt, Silesia
Professor Georg Katzer studied composing under the instruction of Rudolf Wagner-Regeny and Ruth Zechlin. In addtition to that he studied the piano in Berlin (East) and at the academy of musical arts in Prague. After that he was a student in a master class of Hanns Eisler at the academy of arts of the GDR, a member of which he was elected in 1978. In connection with a master class he was appointed professor of composing.
In 1982 he founded the studio of electro-acoustic music. Since 1963 Georg Katzer has lived as a freelance composer in and around Berlin. He is a member of the academy of arts of Berlin-Brandenburg, the Freie Akademie Leipzig and the academy of electro-acoustic music in Bourges / France. In spring 1990 he was elected President of the Musical Council of the GDR. Since Germany's re-unification he has been a member of the committee of the German Mucical Council. In 1992 he was a guest of honour in Villa Massimo in Rome. In addition to his work as a composer (chamber music, orchestral works, solo concerts, three operas, two ballets, puppet shows) Georg Katzer is also engaged in computer music, multimedia-projects and improvisation. On tours across Europe he played - among others - together with Johannes Bauer, Wolfgang Fuchs, Paul Lytten, Radu Malfatti, Phil Minton, Ernst-Ludwig Petrowski and Phil Wachsman. He was awarded several prizes for composing and other honours in the GDR, Switzerland, France, in the USA and repeatedly in the Federal Republic of Germany. Apart from music his main interests are art, literature and languages.
More about Georg Katzer (in Geman!)